Monday, January 31, 2011

Broccoli Slaw Recipe

The latest Neighborhood Meeting was a pot luck dinner. This was a recipe request to Karen from John:


Here’s the Broccoli Slaw recipe you requested from this evening’s Potluck. Good Chili by the way! As we discussed I found a recipe for a classic Broccoli salad and changed it based on what I had on hand. I replaced the Broccoli florets with the Broccoli Slaw, then replaced the raisins with Craisins and finally replaced the Sunflower Seeds with toasted Pine Nuts. It came out pretty good.


1 Bag Broccoli Slaw (12oz package by Eat Smart – sold at Publix)

10 Bacon Strips (cooked and crumbled) – I used 5 extra thick Maple Strips (you can always use more or less)

½ cup Craisins (Dried Cranberries)

½ cup Pine Nuts (toasted and cooled)

½ cup Mayonnaise

¼ cup sugar

2 tablespoons vinegar (I used half Apple Cider vinegar and half White Wine vinegar… because I didn’t have enough Apple Cider vinegar)


All you need to do is mix up the mayo, sugar and vinegar with a whisk to make the dressing in a medium (2 quart) bowl. Throw everything else on top and toss. Chill for one hour. I only had 30 minutes, so I stuck it in the freezer. Personally I did not find it needed any other seasoning, not even salt or pepper. Tasted good just the way it was. My best guess would be that this recipe could serve 6-8 people depending on what else you have on the menu.

1 comment:

  1. I really love this Slaw recipe. I hope I can make it as good as you. See you at the next meeting.
    God Bless,
    John

    ReplyDelete